Qualification and Procedures for F-1 Student Visa Status
Student visas provide legal means for foreign nationals to study in the U.S. There are two student categories. The student that wishes to pursue academic studies, and/or language programs (F-1), and the student who wishes to pursue nonacademic or vocational studies (M-1)." Read Current News - Recent H-1B Visa Cap-Gap and OPT Developments F-1 STEM Extensions 17 Month"
- The student must be enrolled in a program
- The school must be USCIS approved
- The student must be enrolled full-time
- The student must be proficient in English, or enrolled in classes that will lead to English proficiency
- The student must maintain residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up
May 2006-DOS issues new guidelines to U.S. consulates on student visa processing.