H-1B Visas For Foreign Medical Graduates

H-1B Visas for Physicians and Doctors (FMGs/IMGs)- Qualifications, Requirements and Application Procedures

Foreign medical graduates may use an H-1B visa for residency training and/or to practice medicine upon completion of residency training.  In order to qualify for an H-1B visa, the physician must:

  • Possess a degree in medicine;
  • Possess an unrestricted license to practice medicine in a foreign state;
  • Pass the Federal Licensing Examination (FLEX I and II) or the USMLE Steps I, II and III;
  • Demonstrate competence in oral and written English by successfully completing the English language proficiency exam given by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and
  • Such candidates must also possess an unrestricted license or other authorization to practice medicine in the state of intended employment in the United States.

Foreign Medical graduates who have not completed Step III of the USMLE do not qualify for the H-1B visa but may pursue their residency training using a J-1 visa.  Visit our Physician Information Center to review general information about foreign doctors and the US immigrant and non-immigration visa options available to them.

Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.