Marriage Visas/Green Cards - Illegal Aliens May Self-Sponsor Under VAWA

The USCIS issued a memorandum on April 11, 2008 clarifying that aliens who entered illegally or without inspection (EWI) may still apply for a green card under VAWA if married to a US citizen. This announcement makes it possible for those married are subject to spousal abuse to sponsor themselves for a green card whether or not they entered illegally, without inspection or have overstayed their visa. [read fulll memo  - vawa-marriage-greencard].

Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.