M-1 Vocational Student Visa

M-1 Visas are intended for students who have been admitted into an authorized school to pursue a full nonacademic course of study, other than a language training program, particularly designated by him and approved by the Attorney General . The student must have  a residence in a foreign country and seek to enter the United States temporarily. The M-1 differs from the F-1 in that the F-1 is reserved for those students who intend to pursue academic studies in the United States. The M-1 is either granted for a “date certain” for the period of study plus 30 days or for one year, whichever is less, and the student must apply for an extension annually. The M-1 student must be enrolled in the program full-time. An M-1 visa holder may generally change status, but is prohibited from changing to H status if the M-1's qualification for H status is based on credentials gained as an M-1. Further, an M-1 cannot change status to an F-1 status. M-1 students may not work except for post-completion practical training.

The dependent spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of M-1 students may apply for an M-2 visa. If granted, the dependents may remain in the U.S. for the duration of the M-1's valid status, and must apply for extensions annually along with the M-1 holders. M-2 holders may not engage in employment or full-time post-secondary studies. However, an M-2 holder may change to F-1 status.

Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.