Citizens - Married to Illegal Aliens

Green Card/Permanent Residency Visa for Illegal Aliens Married to US Citizens Through Exceptional Hardship Waiver

US citizens married to illegal aliens (without papers) and those who entered the US without inspection (EWIs) face significant hurdles before they can obtain a visa or green card for their illegal alien spouse. In addition to meeting the requirements that all other applicants must obtain, these cases have additional filing requirements.  The following are some options to be considered for illegal aliens married to US citizens.

Adjustment of Status Through Section 245i
245(I) permits those who previously filed a permanent residency or labor certification petition on or before April 30, 2001 to remain in the US and seek adjustment of status even if the previous green card application is not approved.  Upon marriage to a US citizen, the affected illegal alien will submit an immediate relative petition as well as an I-485 adjustment of status application, pay a fine and proceed with the green card process while remaining in the US — Section 245i overview

I-601 US Citizen Spouse Hardship Waiver
Illegal aliens, EWIs, and those subject to the 3/10 year bars may apply for a green card if married to a US citizen through the hardship waiver process.  The first step is to submit an I-130 immediate relative petition to a USCIS service center in the US.  Upon approval and NVC processing, the alien would apply to complete the green card process at a onsulate in his or her native country.  As part of that application, the illegal alien will submit an I-601 request for a hardship waiver along with extensive documentation and evidence.  The alien is not permitted to complete the process while in the US but must leave the country to do so.

The I-601 hardship waiver application requires the alien to prove that not permitting him to reenter the US will result in extreme hardship to his or her  S citizen spouse.  Extensive and detailed documentation is required to prove this equirement. Such evidence should include sworn statements from family members, friends and acquaintances, medical records, psychiatric/psychological records, school records, evidence of illness of family members, financial information and tax returns, letters from teachers, support letters from churches and community organizations, evidence of health and emotional problems that may result from the separation, and such other documentation. This waiver process may also be used for applications submitted by US citizen parents on behalf of their illegal child as well as applications by permanent residents on behalf of their illegal spouse or child. If approved, the green card application is granted and the alien is permitted to return to the US to assume permanent residency or green card status. 

Due to the extensive nature of the documentation required for this process, it is important to consult an immigration attorney familiar with the law in this area. Our immigration attorneys are competent and can assist with questions or filing the application. A recent ruling by the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) should also provide some guidance for  reparing the I-601 hardship waiver application.

FAQs for  Marriage Based Petitions    FAQS for Fiance Visas

Please use our Contact Us  form or call at 312 795-9110 to get more information

Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.