Certification For Certain Health Care Workers

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires that aliens who seek to apply for an employment-based immigrant or non-immigrant visa or to change their non-immigrant status or adjust their status to that of an alien admitted for permanent residence based upon a visa category involving a health care occupation, are inadmissible unless they obtain a certificate that verifies their education, training, licensing, experience and English competency are comparable to American health care workers. Such certificates may be issued only by specified independent credentialing organizations.

The provision applies to nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, medical technologists, medical technicians, and physician assistants. Applicants must obtain a Visascreen Certificate from the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).  Additional information regarding the certification  for foreign health care workers is available at the web site of CGFNS.

For physical therapists, the Foreign Accreditation Commission on Physical Therapy is also authorized to issue visa screen certificates. The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy is authorized for occupational therapists.

Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.